Everywhere Office Depot conducts business, its belief in the fundamental importance of social responsibility is readily apparent. The Company believes that it has a responsibility to support nonprofit organizations around the world and to make a positive impact on many lives and communities. The independent Office Depot Foundation serves as a vehicle for the accomplishment of these objectives.
The mission of the Office Depot Foundation is LISTEN. LEARN. CARE.
The geographic focus of the Foundation is global.
The Foundation's funding focus includes:
- Taking Care of Kids - to support activities that serve, teach and inspire children, youth and families.
- Building Communities - to support civic organizations and activities that serve the needs of our community.
- Promoting Diversity - to increase the capacity of organizations that promote inclusion and offer programs and services to diverse communities.
- Environmental Stewardship - to support communities and organizations in their efforts to restore and protect our natural environment.
- Disaster Relief - to support disaster relief efforts of recognized national, regional and local agencies, and to provide disaster relief to Office Depot associates who have experienced catastrophic loss.
The Foundation will not consider requests for:
- Event sponsorship
- Fashion Shows
- Product Donations
- Deficit Financing
- Athletic teams/events
- Religious organizations that do not serve the general public on a non-denominational basis
- Nonprofit organizations that spend more than 25% of their revenue on management overhead and fundraising expenses
- Travel Expenses
- Project Graduation
- Organizations whose chief purpose is to influence legislation or to participate or intervene in political campaigns on behalf of or against any candidate for public office
- Political, labor or fraternal organizations
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis or face, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin or physical disability
The Office Depot Foundation will consider only organizations that can provide proof of qualifying non-profit status, including a tax-exempt determination letter from the Internal Revenue Service or proof of the organization's charitable purpose. If you are a 501(c)(3) organization or a school, you may be eligible for a cash donation from the Office Depot Foundation.
Due to the large volume of requests, the Office Depot Foundation is unable to fund every proposal. Unsolicited requests and proposals not aligned with the focus or mission will not receive funding.
Organizations that have an outstanding grant with the Office Depot Foundation and who have not completed all reporting or evaluation requirements as requested by Office Depot Foundation are ineligible to apply for new funds.
In 2004 and 2005, when significant natural disasters struck the U.S. and other parts of the world, Office Depot demonstrated our strong commitment to helping others. Our assistance came both in the early days of the response as well as later on - when the focus shifted to rebuilding lives, homes, schools and businesses.
Office Depot was the first company to pledge $1 million to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief - announcing our gift before the hurricane struck. We later offered New Orleans officials the entire contents of our area retail stores to help get the city back up and running. In 2004, in the wake of the devastating tsunamis that caused widespread destruction and loss of life in Southeast Asia, Office Depot contributed $250,000 to the American Red Cross International Response Fund. More recently, through our affiliation with the Business Roundtable, we donated products valued at $1 million in response to the magnitude 7.6 earthquake that struck northern Pakistan and Afghanistan in October 2005.
Today's Office Depot Foundation was born out of the devastation of Hurricane Andrew, as our South Florida associates and surrounding communities struggled to get their lives and businesses back to normal. It was formally structured as the Office Depot Disaster Relief Foundation in 1994. Its primary objective was to provide interest-free loans to associates who have incurred a catastrophic loss, such as natural disaster, fire or the death of an immediate family member.
In 2005, the Office Depot Foundation provided more than 200 loans valued at nearly $250,000 to our associates in the Gulf Coast area and in Florida following Hurricane Wilma, which passed almost directly over our Delray Beach, Fla., Corporate Headquarters.